News

Actions

Harford Co. man critical, after smoking in bed

Posted at 5:42 PM, Jun 07, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-07 17:58:23-04

A 58-year-old paraplegic man is in critical condition after taking a smoking break in his bed Tuesday morning inside of his Edgewood home. 

Just before 4 a.m. emergency response crews were dispatched to the 1800 block of Steven Drive for heavy smoke. 

When firefighters arrived, they quickly extinguished the bedroom fire. According to investigators, Scott Crawford escaped his burning bed by crawling to his battery operated wheel chair before getting help at a nearby neighbors mobile home. 

The Deputy States Fire Marshals determined that Crawford ignited his oxygen tubes and beside materials after lighting up a cigarette. 

Crawford was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview for 2nd and 3rd degree back burns. 

Download the ABC2 News app for the iPhone, Kindle and Android.

Like us on Facebook