NewsRegionHarford County

Actions

Generator catches fire during power outage

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 1:20 PM, Mar 04, 2018
and last updated 2018-03-04 13:20:03-05

A generator being used during a power outage in Harford County caught fire inside the shed it was housed in and spread to the exterior of the home.

The State Fire Marshal says both the home owner and a passerby witnessed the fire and reported it; crews responded to the home in the 800 block of Vale Rd Friday night just after 10:30 p.m.

20 firefighters responded from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Co and were able to get the fire under control in ten minutes.

The fire spread to the outside of the home, causing minor damage. The State Fire Marshal estimated the financial loss of the structure at $20,000 and the contents at $5,000.

Harford County Disaster Assistance was requested due to the damage and the power outage.