News

Actions

Yorkie saves teen from house fire in Harford County

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 12:24 PM, Mar 30, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-30 17:48:20-04

A 17-year-old boy in Harford County was able to escape from a fire thanks to quick thinking by the family dog.

Crews responded to the 1900 block of Harbinger Trail in Edgewood just after 3 p.m. Wednesday for a one-alarm fire in a single family home.

RELATED: This is why your smoke detector might not sound in the event of a fire

According to the State Fire Marshal, the homeowner’s son was home alone in his bedroom that afternoon when the family's Yorkshire Terrier named King began scratching and pawing at his door.

The teen opened the door, saw smoke and discovered a fire in the kitchen near the microwave.

RELATED: Helping Maryland firefighters save pets' lives

He got out of the home and called 911. The Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company responded and managed to contain the fire to the kitchen.

The home sustained “extensive smoke, soot and water damage,” officials said, at an estimated $35,000 in damages.

Officials believe the fire was caused by an electrical failure.

The Fire Marshal said the house had smoke alarms but it's unclear if they were working.

RELATED: California firefighters save dog with 20 minutes of CPR

RELATED: Recently donated pet device saves life of dog pulled from fire