A riding lawnmower sparked a two-alarm fire in Jarrettsville Tuesday afternoon, causing $250,000 in damages, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.
The fire began just before 1 p.m. in the 3900 block of Boxwood Road at a two-story, single family home. No one was injured.
It took 50 firefighters about 35 minutes to put out the fire.
Fire officials said the John Deere riding lawnmower in the garage ignited grass clippings and nearby combustibles
Owners Robert and Eileen Huskins and their grandson were home when they discovered the fire. They attempted to extinguish the fire with a garden hose, but could not.
A cat was rescued and later revived by an emergency crew, but another cat died in the fire.
Red Cross and family and friends are assisting the Huskins.