NewsRegionCecil County

Actions

Fire destroys Elkton home, family loses all Christmas presents

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 7:56 PM, Dec 23, 2017
and last updated 2017-12-23 19:56:12-05

A house in Cecil County was destroyed after discarded ashes from a wood stove caused it to catch fire. 

Fire officials said June Reeves was home with her three kids when she heard an unusual sound. The family soon discovered a fire on the back porch and was able to safely escape and call 911. 

Investigators said high winds contributed to the fast-moving fire, but firefighters were able to extinguish it within 30 minutes. 

The home is a complete loss and the family lost all possessions including Christmas presents. The Red Cross is helping the family find somewhere to stay.