News

Actions

Cigarette sparks Elkton apartment fire, displaces 20

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 1:06 PM, Sep 08, 2017
and last updated 2017-09-08 13:06:16-04

A cigarette sparked a fire that severely damaged an Elkton apartment building Thursday, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal.

Officials said Brinton Davis, who lives in the building, discarded the cigarette in a homemade ashtray that was made of a wood stump.

It sparked a fire at the Cherry Hill Road building shortly before 2:45 p.m. Davis found it and was able to get out.

Two firefighters suffered minor injuries battling the fire. One of them went to the hospital for treatment. The other was treated at the scene.

About 20 people were displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The State Fire Marshal estimates the fire caused $500,000 in damage.