NewsRegionCecil County


3 firefighters hurt, family displaced after house erupts in flames in Elkton

Posted at 11:06 PM, Mar 10, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-11 19:19:07-04

ELKTON, Md. (WMAR) — Three firefighters were injured Sunday afternoon after battling a blaze at a Cecil County home.

Flames broke out just after 12:30 p.m. at 1750 Appleton Road in Elkton.

It took 40 firefighters about 30 minutes to control the flames. In the process, two firefighters from the Aetna Hose Hook and Ladder company out of Newark, Delaware were hurt. Each was treated at Christiana Hospital and later released. A third firefighter, from the Singerly Volunteer Fire Company sustained minor burns but refused medical attention.

According to the State Fire Marshal's Office, the fire was accidentally set off by unattended food in the kitchen. Officials estimate the total damage to be worth around $300,000.

All residents have been displaced as result, and are being assisted by family. No occupants were hurt.