Four people dead in Westminster crash

Police asking for information, tips from public
Posted at 11:22 PM, Oct 17, 2017
and last updated 2017-10-18 17:35:37-04

Carroll County Sheriff's officials have identified the four people killed in Westminster Tuesday afternoon. 

Police were on the scene for hours gathering evidence and information with its crash reconstruction team.

RELATED4 people dead in Westminster car crash

It was a normal Tuesday afternoon for drivers on Route 31 in Westminster when out of nowhere officers say an erratic driver changed lives forever.

"A deputy was responding to a routine call for service in New Windsor traveling along Route 31 as he was getting close to New Windsor near Medford Road, he observed a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed," Cpl. John Light of the Carroll County Sheriff's Office, told ABC2.
Investigators say Joshua Paul Summers, 30, was driving his Infinity over 100 miles per hour.  So fast, the officer couldn't catch up to him. This all happened around 2:15 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon along Route 31 near Old New Windsor Pike. 

Officers say Summers was traveling toward Westminster and hit a 1998 Infnity Q45 driven by James Johnson, 70. Johnson had one passenger, Lyndsay Stauffer, 31. Neither had injuries.

Summers kept on driving and then lost control of his car again, slamming head-on into another car. Summers car burst into flames, and he died on the scene.

The other car was a 200 Mercury Cougar driven by Brittany Ellen Livesay, 19. Two others, Kirk Douglas Jr, 20, and Breanna Marie Evans, 19 were also in the car. The Cougar ended up in a ditch, and all three passengers inside were killed. 

Investigators say the officer tried to catch up to the erratic driver.
"He observed several vehicles getting out of the way of this vehicle as it was passing on Route 31 and he attempted to activate his emergency equipment and turn around however the vehicle was already out of sight," Light said.
Route 31 between Stone Chapel Road and Old New Windsor Pike was closed for hours but reopened around 9:45 p.m. Tuesday night.

Anyone who saw the accident or has any information is asked to police immediately.