NewsRegionBaltimore County


Tree fell on home, took down power lines in Perry Hall

Neighbors brace for another severe storm
Posted at 3:48 PM, May 30, 2019
and last updated 2019-05-31 10:14:55-04

PERRY HALL, Md. — "Right after we saw the hail, we heard the thud and broken glass," said Perry Hall homeowner Linda Hansell.

She says it happened just before 6 p.m. Wednesday, when a tree toppled onto the back of her home.

"The tree went through the screen and through the roof," said Hansell.

It crushed their new deck and damaged both upstairs bathrooms.

"The two bathrooms are damaged, the roof is damaged and the deck is demolished, but we are fine. We are fine, and that's what counts, so we are very thankful to God. We were in the house at the time," said Hansell.

They've lived there for more than 20 years. Their property is surrounded by trees, and this is the first time one has fallen on the home.

"We have people come out and check the health of the trees to be sure that if there's a tree dying, we have it removed," said Hansell.

Across the county, people in Pikesville are dealing with similar clean up of downed trees on homes and roads near Smith Avenue.

Back in Perry Hall, trees brought down power lines and closed part of Silver Spring Road.

"You heard the popping and the bang, and then you saw some smoke, and I lost power," said Perry Hall homeowner Barbara Belcastro.

She hoped to get power back on Thursday before another severe thunderstorm.

"Everybody is a little nervous since last night," said Belcastro. "They're like, 'Oh no, not again.'"

The Hansells are getting prepared too. They got the tree removed and contractors are working to patch up the exterior to prevent any water damage.

"You have to take it one day at a time. We can't control these things. We will do what we can on this end. Last night, we slept on the other side of the house which doesn't have any trees," said Hansell.

This afternoon, Baltimore County Executive Johnny Olszewski was going to tour areas affected by the storms, but it was canceled because severe weather moved in.