BALTIMORE COUNTY, Md. — With temperatures expected to reach 90 degrees and higher over the next several days, Baltimore County has made several "cooling centers" available to residents.
19 branches of the Baltimore County Public Library are open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m.
Residents are welcome to either cool off while reading a book or cool off while enjoying scheduled events at their chosen library. For more information, feel free to either visit the Baltimore County Public Library website or call (410) 887-6100.
Baltimore County Senior Centers are also open to the public, regardless of age. Residents who visit these locations to get relief from the heat can watch TV, read a book or just sit and relax.
Most locations are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Visit the Department of Aging website for more information on their 20 Senior Centers or call their Senior Center Information and Assistance line at (410) 887-2594.
Some other places you can go to cool off in Baltimore County include:
- Community Centers
- Movie Theaters
- Or the home of a neighbor, relative, friend with air conditioning
Residents need to know that the County has plenty of resources available where they can go to get cool,” said Dr. Gregory Wm. Branch, Director of Health and Human Services. “From libraries and senior centers to churches, movie theaters and malls, there is a place in every community where residents can get relief from the heat, and everyone without air conditioning is urged to use them.
Here's a few weather tips that you can use to help keep you and your family healthy and safe in this summer heat:
- NEVER leave a child or pet unattended in a car.
- Check on elderly or chronically ill family members, friends and neighbors.
- Stay hydrated with water or fruit juices. Also, provide your pet with plenty of water and proper shelter.
- Limit outdoor activity when the temperatures and humidity are extremely high.
- Use sunscreen and reapply often when spending time outdoors.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing, a hat and sunglasses when outdoors.
- Visit a cooling center in Baltimore County or consider visiting family, friends or an air-conditioned public building.