The Dundalk 4th of July fireworks show was interrupted by a fusing defect, according to a statement released by crew members.
Attendees took to social media Wednesday to express their disappointment after the show’s grand finale failed to spark.
Officials from the Dundalk Heritage Fair Association posted the following message on their website, saying they “hope that this clears up the confusion on the finale and we hope that everyone understands.”
"On July 4th during the grand finale, there was a manufacturing defect in the fuse of the fireworks. At the time, nothing could be done to prevent or protect the fireworks. Each firework had to manually lit, which is extremely dangerous and had to be relit over and over due to the fuse problems. The pyrotechnicians risked their lives and limbs in doing so. Further, a nozzle was blow off one of the torches used to light the fireworks which should give everyone an idea of the forces involved. Several of our pyrotechnicians were signed and blasted with burning material of the firework failures during the planned finale. As such, the finale was stopped for the safety of our volunteers who put on the show. We apologize for the inconvenience and the safety of our technicians is of the utmost importance. We are working with the supplier of the fireworks to ensure this does not occur again."
**Editor's Note: This story has been updated to reflect that the fireworks display did not end early. The finale, was however, interrupted by the fuse defect.