NewsRegionBaltimore County

Actions

A stove-top fire turns into a 2-alarm blaze displacing six people and killing two cats

Posted at 11:16 AM, Apr 18, 2019

ARBUTUS, Md. — The Baltimore County Fire Department said two families were rescued from an apartment fire Thursday morning.

Fire crews were called to the scene of a fire in the 4300 block of Alan Drive at Meadow Lane Apartments, just before 6:30 a.m.. Fire personnel said units found several people trapped and calling for help from upper-story windows.

Fire commanders later called for a second alarm and firefighters battled the flames until the fire was under control just before 7:00 a.m.

Crews from Arbutus, Catonsville and Halethorpe stations assisted with rescuing the trapped residents from a rear bedroom window due to heavy smoke filling the front of the apartment.

Officials said two young adult women were transported to University of Maryland Medical Center, one with minor injuries and one with serious but not life-threatening injuries. Fire crews found two cats that died in the fire.

The Red Cross responded to assist with the two displaced families comprising six people .

Fire investigators said the fire was accidental and started on a stove-top in one of the upper story apartments.