NewsRegionBaltimore County

Actions

68-year-old man dies following an accidental Lansdowne kitchen fire

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 1:49 PM, May 16, 2019
and last updated 2019-05-16 13:49:32-04

LANSDOWNE, Md. — A 68-year-old man has died of his injuries following a May 10 kitchen fire in a Lansdowne apartment building.

At about 7:40 p.m., units were called to the 2900 block of Lakebrook Circle for a fire. Officials determined that it was a small, accidental grease fire. However, the victim, William Melvin Riggins, died on May 11, one day after the fire.

He was transported to St. Agnes Hospital with minor smoke inhalation. Afterwards, he was taken to a local hospice facility for treatment of complications from the smoke inhalation and a preexisting illness. He died while in hospice.

According to Baltimore County Police, this is the fifth fire fatality in Baltimore County, so far, this year.