Five patients were rushed to Shock Trauma immediately after Tuesday morning's fatal MTA bus crash, forcing personnel into an all hands on deck situation, said Dr. Deborah Stein, head of trauma at the hospital.
"For us, this is business as usual, unfortunately, being the Shock Trauma Center, it's what we do every day," Stein said.
As of late Tuesday afternoon, one female had been discharged from the hospital, with the other four still being treated. Two are listed in fair condition, one is in serious condition and one is in critical condition.
Four of the patients were women, ranging in age from their mid-20s to mid-40s, and one was a man, in his mid-20s.
"But I will say that given the nature of the situation, we certainly we had all hands on deck," Stein said.
She said the accident happened right at the change of shifts, and not one person on the night shift left, all staying behind to see what was needed.
"It was really quite extraordinary," Stein said. "The response was exactly what we would expect."
Stein said she wouldn't classify the incident as a mass casualty, given only five patients were treated at Shock Trauma.