A mercury spill at Lake Clifton High School has left Monday’s back to school plans in question.
Fire officials said units called to the northeast Baltimore school Friday afternoon for a hazmat spill found mercury spilled in an unused classroom. Firefighters evacuated the building and hazmat contractors were called in to clean up the spill. There were no classes in session at the time.
In a statement, school authorities said they are waiting for assessments from the Maryland Department of the Environment to determine whether the building will be open for students on the first day of school, Monday August 29.