The Maryland Zoo is asking for you to help then name the adopted grizzly bear cub sisters that made their debut a few weeks ago.
The names come from several different sources, including the anonymous donor who helped to pay for their transportation, the Consolidated Salish and Kootenai tribe Polar Bear Watch animal care team members.
Here's the pair names up for vote:
- Casper & Helen - chosen in honor of the benefactor that sponsored the bear’s transport from Montana
- Salish & Kootenai – Names of the Native American tribes on whose land the sisters were found
- Nova & Nita - “chasing butterflies” and “bear” in various Native American languages
- Maple & Juniper - North America tree species
- Iris & Violet - beautiful flower names
To cast your vote and see more pictures, click here. Voting is open now thru 8:00 am Wednesday, April 5. You can vote once per day.
The grizzly bear exhibit and the naming contest are sponsored by Garrison Forest School, home of the Garrison Forest Grizzlies.