NewsRegionBaltimore City


Baltimore officials concerned by heavy rain on 26th Street

Posted at 12:01 AM, May 16, 2014
and last updated 2018-11-26 11:45:13-05
There is a lot of concern about the rainy forecast from city officials handling the clean up at collapsed 26th Street.
Construction crews continue to work all day everyday.
It has been two weeks sincethe ground collapsed under the sidewalk, parked cars and street lights on April 30.
After Baltimore City Department of Transportation leaders got word that the skies would soon open up, concern quickly followed.  
They already had a meeting scheduled for an update on the whole project on Thursday, so they added to the agenda precautions to prevent the rain from making a bad situation worse.
City officials added and moved equipment to keep the work site as dry as possible in the most important spots. They're also keeping a close eye on all the activity. 
"We'll be monitoring with survey crews to make sure there's no movement taking place on the slopes. Depending on how heavy the rain is, we may or may not have ongoing operations during the raining period," William Johnson, DOT Director, said. 
When they are able to work, the crew will continue installing a stabilizing, a temporary wall consisting of 65 piles drilled 70 feet into the ground.
Once that is finished, a permanent wall will follow. 
"If any pressure is there to try to push the permanent wall out, it's going to have to pull 65 piles out of the ground before it's going to move. So we're pretty confident that it's going to be an extremely stable situation once we're done," Johnson said. 
The site of a massive collapse is now a head turning construction site, still stopping people in their tracks. 
"It's pretty impressive. I feel sad for the people that live across the street," Laura Laughlin said as she looked at the aftermath for the first time.  
"I know someone who lives there and I don't know where he's living now and I can't imagine him not being in his house," Louisa Cornblath, who lives nearby, said. 
Johnson said they are still on track to keep their commitment to residents and get them back inside their homes within 40 days.
That will happen as soon as the temporary wall is finished.
Johnson said the city also has crews inspecting other areas that are similar in structure 26th Street. So far they haven't found any major problems.