NewsRegionBaltimore City


Two suspects charged after man killed in Federal Hill

Posted at 9:50 AM, Oct 04, 2018
and last updated 2018-10-05 07:42:13-04

Seen here on surveillance video as he approached his home in Federal Hill a week ago, a single gunshot would claim Tim Moriconi's life moments later, and police now say 23-year-old De'Andre Sleet was the man who pulled the trigger.

Kiara Wesley also is expected to face charges for her role as the pair committed street robberies.

"It appears that he would conduct the robbery and she would drive the getaway car,” said Baltimore City Police Media Relations Chief T.J. Smith, “We believe they're linked to additional robberies that have occurred in the city.  Unfortunately, this one ended in violence."

Police characterized the crime as a robbery gone wrong, and according to court documents, this isn't the first time that Sleet has committed such a crime.

On New Year's Day in 2013, Sleet and another man robbed a man of his cellular phone at gunpoint on North Fulton Avenue.

He was given probation after conviction, avoiding five years behind bars, in large part because he was just a few months shy of graduating from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute.

"People make decisions no matter what school they went to,” said Smith, “I went to Poly as well and saw some people make some bad decisions that came out, but people become adults and choose to make decisions for their own."

Police used surveillance video and witness descriptions to identify a Chevy compact with temporary tags seen in the area of the Federal Hill murder.

When officers spotted that same car on Wednesday, they discovered Sleet and Wesley inside along with the gun used to kill Tim Moriconi.

"Witnesses, video (and) cooperation are imperative.  It is much more difficult for the police to solve a crime where there's no cooperation,” said Smith, “If the officers aren't there to see it, the only way we're going to find out what happened is by somebody talking about it or somebody bringing forth information that helps us get closer to identifying who the suspect is."

Sleet also faced a second-degree rape charge a year after he graduated from Poly, but the case was never prosecuted.

In addition to robbery and murder charges in this case, he's also been charged with a robbery in Northeast Baltimore.