Thursday marked Baltimore City's first Code Red heat advisory of the summer. Baltimore City pools extended hours to help residents stay cool.
In a statement Wednesday, Baltimore City Health Commissioner Dr. Leana Wen cautioned residents to protect themselves from the extreme heat.
“We can prevent heat from killing our citizens,” Wen said in the statement. “It’s important to stay cool, stay hydrated and stay in touch with your neighbors, especially seniors and medically frail individuals who live alone or without air conditioning during times of extreme heat.”
The Baltimore City Health Department issued the following recommendations for times of extreme heat:
- Drink plenty of water, avoid alcohol and/or caffeine.
- Reduce outdoor activities, stay inside in air-conditioned locations.
- Never leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles, even for short periods of time.
- Check on older, sick or frail neighbors who may need help with the heat.
Heat stroke can be fatal. Signs of heat exhaustion and heat stroke include:
- Hot, dry skin or cool, clammy skin
If you’re in the city and want information about the nearest cooling center or are concerned for a neighbor, you can call 311. If you’re experiencing signs of heat stroke or heat exhaustion, you should call 911.
Cooling centers from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.:
- Northern Community Action Partnership Center: 5225 York Road, 410-396-6084
- Southern Community Action Partnership Center: 606 Cherry Hill Road (inside the shopping center 2nd floor), 410-545-0900
- Northwest Community Action Partnership Center: 3939 Reisterstown Road, 443-984-1384
- Southeastern Community Action Partnership Center: 3411 Bank Street, 410-545-6510
- Eastern Community Action Partnership Center: 1400 E. Federal Street, 410-545-0136
In addition, the following senior centers will be open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Waxter Center for Senior Citizens: 1000 Cathedral Street, 410-396-1324
- Oliver Center: 1700 Gay Street, 410-396-3861
- Sandtown-Winchester Senior Center: 1601 N. Baker Street, 410-396-7724
- Hatton Center: 2825 Fait Avenue, 410-396-9025 John Booth 2601 E. Baltimore St., 410-396-9202
- Zeta Center: 4501 Reisterstown Rd., 410-396-3535
NEIGHBORHOOD/WALK-TO POOLS will operate three (3) swim sessions:
- Noon - 2:00 p.m.
- 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
PARK POOLS will operate four (4) swim sessions:
- Noon - 2:00 p.m.
- 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.
- 7:30 - 9:00 p.m.
All swimmers will have to leave the facility at the end of each swim session. At the end of the intermission, swimmers will have to pay to re-enter. Officials say this rotating schedule allows new swimmers an opportunity to use the pool on days when attendance is high, and gives pool staff the opportunity to take breaks from the heat.
Admission to park pools is $2 per two-hour session and $1 per two-hour session for neighborhood walk-to pools.
Other cooling centers in the area include:
Pip Moyer Recreation Center: 273 Hilltop Lane, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY:
Department of Aging and Disabilities, open for cooling from 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Annapolis Senior Center, 119 South Villa Avenue, Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Center, 44 Church Road, Arnold
- Brooklyn Park Senior Center, 202 Hammonds Lane, Brooklyn Park
- O'Malley Senior Center, 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Center, 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Center, 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie
Anne Arundel County Public Libraries, open 9 a.m-9 p.m.
- Annapolis Regional Library, 1410 West Street, Annapolis
- Broadneck Community Library, 1275 Green Holly Drive, Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Community Library, 1 East 11th Avenue, Baltimore
- Crofton Community Library, 1681 Riedel Road, Crofton
- Deale Community Library, 5940 Deale-Churchton Road, Deal
- Easpot-Annapolis Neck Community Library, 269 Hillsmere Drive, Annapolis
- Edgewater Community Library, 25 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Linthicum Community Library: 400 Shipley Road, Linthicum
- Maryland City at Russett Community Library: 3501 Russett Common, Laurel
- Mountain Road Community Library: 4730 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Odenton Regional Library: 1325 Annapolis Road, Odenton
- Riviera Beach Community Library: 1130 Duvall Highway, Pasadena
- Severn Community Library: 2624 Annapolis Road, Severn
- Severna Park Community Library: 45 West McKinsey Road, Severna Park
Anne Arundel Couny Police Community Rooms at the following precincts, from 10 a.m. Thursday-7 a.m. Friday
- Northern District, 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- Eastern district, 204 Pasadena Road, Pasadena
- Western District, 8273 Telegraph road, Odenton
- Southern District, 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Harford County Public libraries, open 11 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Aberdeen – 21 Franklin Street, Aberdeen, Maryland 21001
- Abingdon – 2510 Tollgate Road Abingdon, Maryland 21009
- Bel Air – 100 E. Pennsylvania Avenue, Bel Air, Maryland 21014
- Darlington – 1134 Main Street, Darlington, Maryland 21034 (open noon-5 p.m.)
- Edgewood – 629 Edgewood Road, Edgewood, Maryland 21040
- Fallston – 1461 Fallston Road, Fallston, Maryland 21047
- Havre de Grace – 120 N. Union Avenue, Havre de Grace, MD 21078
- Jarrettsville – 3722 Norrisville Road, Jarrettsville, Maryland 21084
- Joppa – 655 Towne Center Drive, Joppa, Maryland 21085
- Norrisville – 5310 Norrisville Road, White Hall, Maryland 21161
- Whiteford – 2407 Whiteford Road, Whiteford, Maryland 21160