NewsRegionBaltimore City

Actions

Baltimore Fire says fire that killed woman and small children caused by misuse of extension cord

Posted at 11:45 PM, Dec 20, 2017
and last updated 2017-12-20 23:45:00-05

On Wednesday night some answers for family and friends of the Baltimore woman and her two young daughters who were killed in a house fire last Wednesday.

Baltimore Fire confirming that the fire was caused by the misuse of an extension cord.

While we don't know what the extension cord was hooked up to in that family's home, Baltimore Fire Chief Niles Ford made a point to talk about how to stay safe and warm at the same time. It starts with how you set up your heating source.

If you're going to use a space heater, leave three feet of space between it and anything it can ignite and set it up right.

"If you use space heaters plug them directly into the wall, do not use extension cords," said Ford.  "Extension cords very often can't withstand the amount of power that's pushed through that extension cord and it heats it up ultimately it degrades that extension cord and can cause a fire."

Ford also reminding people that kerosene heaters are illegal in the city of Baltimore.

There's a viewing for the woman and her two daughters on Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Gary P. March Funeral Home in Baltimore.