The Baltimore City Fire Department has released the cause of three fatal fires that killed five people in the last week.
Unattended cooking on a stove sparked a fire Saturday in the 2400 block of Dorton Court that killed Kamarl Ferrell, 10, and Tylynn McDuffie, 1, both of whom died of smoke inhalation.
Also on Saturday, Polly Taylor, 90, died of smoke inhalation and thermal injuries in a house fire in the 400 block of Denison Street. That fire was caused by overheated electrical cords under the carpet.
And last week, a fire in the 600 block of N. Clinton Street was started by children playing with matches. Nigel Ramires, 3, and Exekial Ramires, nine months, both died of smoke inhalation and thermal injuries.