With the frigid temperatures heading our way, Baltimore City is declaring a code blue alert.
When it comes to the cold, the three P's we need to focus on are the pipes, pets, and plants. Health commissioner Dr. Wen declared the first code blue of the season starting on Tuesday and ending Wednesday.
Temperatures are expected to be in the bitter teens from the combination of freezing temperatures and the wind chill.
When there is a code blue:
- Wear multiple layers of loose-fitting clothing.
- Always wear a head covering, like a hat and/or scarf, when outdoors.
- Drink plenty of fluids and avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Protect yourself against falls in icy or snowy conditions.
- Check on children, the elderly.
- Bring pets inside
Lastly, make sure you wrap pipes that are exposed to the elements, leave your basement faucet at a drip to keep the pipe from freezing, and cover plants that are at risk.