If you are looking to add a four-legged member to the family, this weekend is the perfect time.
Saturday, August 18 is the fourth annual Clear the Shelters Day. It's the largest single-day adoption event in the country, and adoption fees will be waived for all animals.
Shelters across the U.S. are participating, including many in Maryland:
- Animal Welfare Society of Howard County: 12 p.m.- 4 p.m.
- Anne Arundel County Animal Control: 10 a.m.- 2:30 p.m.
- Baltimore Humane Society: 12 p.m.- 6 p.m.
- Baltimore County Animal Services: 10 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- BARCS: 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- Cecil County Animal Services: 11 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
- Chesapeake Feline Association: 10 a.m.- 2:30 p.m.
- Humane Society of Harford County: 10 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- Maryland SPCA: 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- SPCA of Anne Arundel County: 11 a.m.- 4 p.m.
At last years "Clear the Shelters" event more than 61,000 pets were adopted.