News

Actions

Two injured in a Severn house fire Saturday

Posted at 9:30 AM, Mar 13, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-13 09:30:22-04

Two people are recovering after being injured in a Severn house fire Saturday afternoon.

Members of the Anne Arundel County Fire Department responded to a home in the 7800 block of Chalice Road just before 5:45 p.m. where they found smoke and fire coming from a one-story dwelling.

 Firefighters located and extinguished the kitchen fire which had extended to the attic and two adjacent rooms.

Officials say there were two occupants that were home at the time of the fire. A 78-year-old woman was transported to the Burn Center at Johns Hopkins Bayview with serious injuries. The second occupant declined medical treatment.

 Fire officials estimate there is a total loss of $50, 000 in damages.

The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental due to unattended cooking. 

Investigators also revealed there were no working smoke alarms in the home.

The two occupants have been displaced and assisted by the Red Cross.