ANNAPOLIS, Md — The man accused of killing five people at the Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis, is pleading not guilty by reason of insanity.
Lawyers for the gunman said in a court filing Monday that the he is not criminally responsible "because of a mental disorder." The filing also says he lacked the "capacity to appreciate the criminality of his conduct."
The shooter previously pleaded not guilty.
Five people were fatally shot in June 2018 in the Capital Gazette newsroom. The gunman was indicted on 23 charges in the attack, including first-degree murder.
If he were found not criminally responsible, he could be confined to a mental health prison facility. A November trial has been set.