NewsRegionAnne Arundel County

Actions

House fire caused by ashes placed in cardboard box

Posted: 2:34 PM, Jan 02, 2018
Updated: 2018-01-02 19:34:24Z
Hot ash sparks fire
Hot ash sparks fire

Hot ash started a house fire that caused $5,000 in damage.

Firefighters were called to the home on Leslie Court around 4:40 Sunday afternoon. The fire was burning at the rear of the home and took less than five minutes to extinguish.

Investigators say ashes placed in a cardboard box against the back of the house started the fire, which spread to a box of sticks and then a recycling container before extending to the home.

Fire officials say the best way to dispose of fireplace ashes is to put them in a heavy metal container, wet them and then cover the container with a metal lid.