NewsRegionAnne Arundel County

Actions

Hot coals dumped against house cause massive fire

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 10:46 AM, Jul 09, 2018
and last updated 2018-07-09 10:46:58-04

A Glen Burnie home was destroyed after a man dumped hot coals against the side of the house, causing it to catch fire. 

Firefighters were called to the home in the 200 block of Benmere Road after reports of heavy fire conditions to the back of a one-story, single-family home. The only person inside the home was able to safely evacuate after their neighbor warned him of the fire. 

The was was under control within 45 minutes by firefighters and was contained to mostly the back of the house. Though it was mostly contained, the fire still caused around $285,000 of damage. 

Investigators were able to determine the house fire started after the improper dumping of hot coals from a grill. The man in the home had used a charcoal grill around 5 p.m. and around 11 p.m. he dumped the still hot coals against the house. 

The 23-year-old man inside the house was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.