NewsRegionAnne Arundel County

Actions

Hazmat incident occurs at Annapolis homeless shelter

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 1:52 PM, Mar 04, 2018
and last updated 2018-03-04 13:52:58-05

A homeless shelter had to be evacuated late Saturday night after an “unknown chemical odor" was coming through the vents. Crews from Annapolis and Anne Arundel County Fire Departments responded to Lighthouse Shelter in the unit block of Hudson St.

Later Sunday, it was source was determined to be coming from the utility room and believed it was something poured down the drain.

The Annapolis Building Inspector was called and the building will remain uninhabitable until the system can be cleared.

A spokesman with the Annapolis Fire Department says 40-50 residents were taken to another shelter and are expected to be there for a few days; Red Cross is also assisting.

There were no injuries.