News

Actions

Five displaced after two cars accidentally catch fire in garage

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 10:44 AM, Aug 28, 2017
and last updated 2017-08-28 10:46:09-04

One person was injured, and five have been displaced after an accidental fire Sunday afternoon. 

Firefighters responded to the 700 block of Cyprian Court around 1:25 p.m.

When the crews first got to the scene, they saw two cars on fire in a garage, with the fire spreading to the first and second floors of the house. 

60 firefighters from Anne Arundel and Prince George's Counties, as well as Annapolis and Fort Meade got the fire under control in about an hour. 

After an investigation by the Anne Arundel County Fire and Explosives Unit, it was found the fire started accidently while one of the homeowners and a friend were working on a car in the garage.

The homeowner found the fire, and was able to evacuate the house before it spread. 

The friend who was working on the car had minor injuries and drove himself to a local hospital. 

Two adults and three kids are now displaced because of the fire. Damages are estimated at $750,000 for the home, and $150,000 for the contents inside.