ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Cooling centers in Anne Arundel County will be open Monday and Tuesday, July 29 and 30, due to extreme, prolonged heat, the Anne Arundel County Department of Health announced. With high temperatures forecast in the mid-90s and oppressive humidity, a code orange air quality alert is in effect.
The Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities will designate the following Senior Centers as cooling centers from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Monday and Tuesday:
- Annapolis Senior Center: 119 South Villa Avenue, Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Center: 44 Church Rd, Arnold
- Brooklyn Park Senior Center: 202 Hammonds Lane, Brooklyn Park
- O'Malley Senior Center: 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Center: 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Center: 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Center: 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
The following Anne Arundel County Public Libraries will be open and designated as cooling centers from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Tuesday:
- Annapolis Library (at Monarch Academy): 2000 Capital Drive, Annapolis (open until 5:00 p.m.)
- Broadneck Community Library: 1275 Green Holly Drive, Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Community Library: 1 East 11th Avenue, Baltimore
- Crofton Community Library: 1681 Riedel Road, Crofton
- Deale Community Library: 5940 Deale-Churchton Road, Deale
- Eastport-Annapolis Neck Community Library: 269 Hillsmere Drive, Annapolis (opens at 1:00 p.m. August 6)
- Edgewater Community Library: 25 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Glen Burnie Regional Library: 1010 Eastway, Glen Burnie
- Linthicum Community Library: 400 Shipley Road, Linthicum
- Maryland City at Russett Community Library: 3501 Russett Common, Laurel
- Mountain Road Community Library: 4730 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Odenton Regional Library: 1325 Annapolis Road, Odenton
- Riviera Beach Community Library: 1130 Duvall Highway, Pasadena
- Severn Community Library: 2624 Annapolis Road, Severn
- Severna Park Community Library: 45 West McKinsey Road, Severna Park
Anne Arundel County Police will designate District Station Community Rooms at the following Precincts as cooling centers from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Tuesday:
- Northern District: 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- Eastern District: 204 Pasadena Rd, Pasadena
- Western District: 8273 Telegraph Road, Odenton
- Southern District: 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
If you need help getting to these cooling centers you can reach out to the Office of Transportation Monday through Friday, from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., at 410-222-0022. All centers are air-conditioned and will have water and bathrooms available.
No pets are allowed in the cooling centers but accommodations can be made.
Residents are reminded to take proactive steps to prepare for the heat. Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. Drink plenty of fluids and avoid alcohol, caffeine, and sugary drinks. Stay indoors as much as possible and utilize air conditioning, or go to places that offer such relief. Keep outdoor activity to a minimum and utilize the early morning or late evening hours when it is a little less hot. Do not leave pets or people in parked, closed cars. Pay attention to pets and bring them indoors. Keep an eye on those particularly vulnerable to the heat, like the very young, the elderly, and those suffering from mental or physical illness.