ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY, Md. — Anne Arundel County will open cooling centers Saturday, Aug. 17 through Monday, Aug. 19 in response to prolonged high temperatures and excessive humidity.
Temperatures are forecast to be in the high 90s with oppressive humidity, creating heat index values in excess of 101 degrees and approaching an code orange air quality alert.
The following locations will be available to provide cooling relief:
The Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities will designate the following Senior Centers as cooling centers from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Aug. 19:
- Annapolis Senior Center: 119 South Villa Avenue, Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Center: 44 Church Rd, Arnold
- O'Malley Senior Center: 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Center: 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Center: 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Center: 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
The following Anne Arundel County Public Libraries will be open and designated as cooling centers from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 17, 2019 and from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 19:
- Broadneck Community Library: 1275 Green Holly Drive, Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Community Library: 1 East 11th Avenue, Baltimore
- Crofton Community Library: 1681 Riedel Road, Crofton
- Deale Community Library: 5940 Deale-Churchton Road, Deale
- Eastport-Annapolis Neck Community Library: 269 Hillsmere Drive, Annapolis
- Edgewater Community Library: 25 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Glen Burnie Regional Library: 1010 Eastway, Glen Burnie
- Linthicum Community Library: 400 Shipley Road, Linthicum
- Maryland City at Russett Community Library: 3501 Russett Common, Laurel
- Mountain Road Community Library: 4730 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Odenton Regional Library: 1325 Annapolis Road, Odenton
- Riviera Beach Community Library: 1130 Duvall Highway, Pasadena
- Severn Community Library: 2624 Annapolis Road, Severn
- Severna Park Community Library: 45 West McKinsey Road, Severna Park
Anne Arundel County Police will designate District Station Community Rooms at the following Precincts as cooling centers from 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 17, 2019 until 6:00 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 19:
- Northern District: 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- Eastern District: 204 Pasadena Rd, Pasadena
- Western District: 8273 Telegraph Road, Odenton
- Southern District: 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Residents requiring transportation to any cooling center should contact the Office of Transportation during 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday, Aug. 19, 2019 at 410-222-0022.
All cooling centers are accessible, air-conditioned and have water and restroom facilities. Medical care is not available, and anyone experiencing or observing a medical emergency should call 9-1-1. Pets are not allowed in any cooling centers. Accommodations will be made for service animals. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Residents are reminded to take proactive steps to prepare for the heat. Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. Drink plenty of fluids and avoid alcohol, caffeine, and sugary drinks. Stay indoors as much as possible and utilize air conditioning, or go to places that offer such relief. Keep outdoor activity to a minimum and utilize the early morning or late evening hours when it is a little less hot. Do not leave pets or people in parked, closed cars. Pay attention to pets and bring them indoors. Keep an eye on those particularly vulnerable to the heat, like the very young, the elderly, and those suffering from mental or physical illness.