Baltimore City Health Commissioner Dr. Leana Wen has issued a Code Blue alert in effect until Monday morning.
A Code Blue is issued when temperatures are low enough to pose a serious health risk.
“Extreme cold temperatures can permanently injure, or even kill. Hypothermia, or low body temperature, can be just as dangerous as extreme heat, so it is important to stay indoors in heated areas. Be sure to check on your elderly neighbors to ensure that they have heat and power,” Dr. Wen said in a news release .
Due to the bitter cold temperatures Anne Arundel County is opening several warming centers. They'll be open from Wednesday night to 7:00 a.m. Monday, Feb. 15.
RELATED: Baltimore weather forecast
The decision to open the County warming centers comes as temperatures through the weekend are predicted to be -10?F at times.
The following locations will be available to provide warming relief:
Senior Activity Centers will act as warming centers from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm:
- Annapolis Senior Activity Center, 119 South Villa Avenue, Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Activity Center, 44 Church Road, Arnold
- Brooklyn Park Senior Activity Center, 202 Hammonds Lane, Brooklyn Park
- O’Malley Senior Activity Center, 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Activity Center, 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Activity Center, 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Activity Center, 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Anne Arundel County Public Libraries will be available until their normal closing time of 9:00 pm.
- Broadneck Community Library: 1275 Green Holly Drive, Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Community Library: 1 East 11th Avenue, Baltimore
- Crofton Community Library: 1681 Riedel Road, Crofton
- Deale Community Library: 5940 Deale-Churchton Road, Deale
- Eastport-Annapolis Neck Community Library: 269 Hillsmere Drive, Annapolis
- Edgewater Community Library: 25 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Glen Burnie Library: 1010 Eastway, Glen Burnie
- Linthicum Community Library: 400 Shipley Road, Linthicum
- Odenton Library: 1325 Annapolis Road, Odenton
- Maryland City at Russett Community Library: 3501 Russett Common, Laurel
- Mountain Road Community Library: 4730 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Severna Park Community Library: 45 West McKinsey Rd
- Severn Community Library Severn Square Shopping Center, 2624 Annapolis Rd
- Riviera Beach Community Library: 1130 Duvall Highway, Pasadena
The Anne Arundel County Police will make the Community Rooms at the following Precincts available 24 hours a day:
- Northern District, 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- Eastern District, 204 Pasadena Road, Pasadena
- Western District, 8273 Telegraph Road, Odenton
- Southern District, 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
All centers are accessible and have water and restroom facilities. Medical care is not available and anyone experiencing or observing a medical emergency should call 911. Pets are not allowed in any warming centers. Accommodations will be made for service animals.
The Department of Aging and Disabilities will provide transportation to all citizens to and from warming centers, libraries, and police precinct community rooms based on resource availability during business hours.
- Department of Aging and Disabilities Transportation 410-222-0022
- Taxi Voucher Program 410-222-4222 (An Income Eligible Program, must submit proof of income to receive discounted vouchers)
- MTA Mobility Service 410-764-8181
- MTA Taxi Access II Service 410-664-2030 (Must be certified Mobility customer)
For other crisis assistance, citizens can call the Anne Arundel Mental Health Agency’s warmline at 410-768-5522.