NewsRegionAnne Arundel County

Actions

12 construction workers sent to hospital after carbon monoxide incident at bank

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WMAR.png
Posted at 10:32 AM, Jul 17, 2018
and last updated 2018-07-17 18:12:17-04

A dozen construction workers were sent to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning while they were working on a bank in Odenton on Tuesday morning. 

Anne Arundel County Fire officials say the constructions workers had been at the Navy Federal Credit Union since around 5 a.m., but around 8 a.m. they started complaining about symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning. 

After fire crews got to the scene, they discovered the workers had been using a propane-powered saw, which they believed caused the symptoms of the poisoning. 

Three workers went to the Hyperbaric Medicine Facilities at Shock Trauma with serious, but non-life threatening symptoms, and the other nine were sent to the University of Maryland hospital in Baltimore with possibly serious, but non-life threatening injuries. 

Officials say 11 of the workers injured were men and one was a woman. The workers range from ages 11 to 55. 

Around 9:45 a.m. crews were able to confirm there was no longer any carbon monoxide inside of the building, and they let the bankers and customers go back inside.