EL CAJON, Calif. – The San Diego County District Attorney's Office will release cell phone video Friday afternoon that purportedly shows the moment at which an unarmed black man was shot and killed by two El Cajon police officers.
The video will be released at 2 p.m. in a news conference at the El Cajon Police Department headquarters at 100 Civic Center Way. District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis and ECPD Chief Jeff Davis will speak.
Police have so far only released a single still image from the video, which was taken by a witness, but not the entire footage. It is believed to be the only video that exists of the killing. El Cajon police officers do not wear body cameras.
Since the shooting, the video has been in the possession of the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office, which makes the final decision regarding when it will be released.
Alfred Olango, 38, was mortally wounded by the two officers while outside a strip mall restaurant near the intersection of Interstate 8 and state Route 67.
One witness told reporters Olango had his hands raised when shots rang out, and another indicated he may have suffered a seizure. However, police said Olango was uncooperative, had repeatedly refused to remove his hand from his pocket, assumed "what appeared to be a shooting stance," and pointed an object that turned out to be an electronic smoking device at one of the officers.
In a 10News poll done prior to the release of the video, 45 percent of those surveyed thought the shooting was justified, 34 percent believed it was unjustified and 20 percent were unsure.
On Wednesday, El Cajon Mayor Bill Wells acknowledged to 10News that not releasing the entire video immediately had fueled protestors' suspicions about what led up to the use of lethal force, but said the image tells the story.
"I've seen the video," Wells said. "I think that once the video is released people are going to be very understanding of what's happening. I don't think there's going to be a lot of shock or new revelation."