Michigan girl hospitalized after finding glass in her Wendy's burger

Posted at 7:40 PM, Jun 28, 2016

A mom in Michigan says she brought her three-year-old daughter to a Wendy's restaurant to celebrate after a good dentist visit. The last thing she expected to see was pieces of glass in her daughter's mouth after she bit into a burger.

"You can think of your baby and what could happen and the things you don't know could happen...your mind just starts to race," says Vanessa.

Vanessa, a pregnant mother, teared up as she talked about what happened to her three-year-old girl yesterday afternoon after a bite of a burger at Wendy's.

"She bit into her burger, we were inside, and she started to crunch this super loud crunch... that wasn't normal." She says she panicked for a moment watching her daughter cry in pain.

"I was telling her don't swallow, don't swallow."

Vanessa quickly got on her knees and tried to get the food out of her daughter's mouth.

"I was pulling food out and blood out and I saw particles of glass on my fingers."

Vanessa's daughter suffered cuts inside her mouth. She says she called police right away and then rushed her daughter to the hospital.

"My only concern was for my daughter and how much glass she had ingested."

According to a police report, the manager of the Wendy's told officers glass was broken in the back where food is prepared. Today, Starboard Group, which owns the Wendy's, released the following statement:

"This is an extremely unfortunate accident and we quickly investigated. It appears a light bulb may have broken during maintenance activity in the restaurant."

Vanessa says she wasn't contacted until reporters called the restaurant, adding she's disappointed in this fast food restaurant.

"I hope to never go through anything like that again... think celebratory lunch at Wendy's wouldn't be such a nightmare."

The little girl is home now recovering. Wendy's tells us their thoughts and prayers are with her and her family and they wish her a full and speedy recovery. They say they are taking this incident very seriously, and will be staying in touch with the family.