NewsNational News


Authorities: Dog accidentally turns on stove, starts fire

Posted at 11:54 AM, Jun 07, 2018

Authorities say a dog started a fire when it accidentally turned on an electric stove.

The German shepherd and another dog were alone in the Alpha, New Jersey, home when the fire broke out late Wednesday morning.

Officials believe the German shepherd was looking for food and got up on its hind legs. The dog apparently hit a knob -- turning on the stove's rear burner -- and pushed nearby flammable items onto the stove.

A ceiling fan that was running on low then lifted some of the burning items onto a nearby foam dog bed, which ignited and filled the home's bottom floor with smoke.

A firefighter was able to extinguish the fire and police got a rear door open, allowing the dogs to safely escape.