ROCKVILLE, Md. — A car became engulfed in flames after its driver used hand sanitizer while smoking a cigarette.
It happened Thursday evening near the Trader Joe’s and Silver Diner at Federal Plaza on Rockville Pike, in Montgomery County.
Investigators believe embers from the man's cigarette fell into his hands as he was applying sanitizer, causing the fire to ignite.
Officials say the driver was able to escape the burning vehicle, but not before suffering first and second degree burns to his hands and inner thighs.
Meanwhile, the car was destroyed.
ICYMI (~530p) vehicle fire at Federal Plaza, 12200blk Rockville Pike, near Trader Joe’s & Silver Diner, @mcfrs PE723, M723, AT723 & FM722 were on scene (news helicopter video) pic.twitter.com/TeAynaGsgp— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) May 13, 2021