SOLOMONS, Md. — Several businesses are destroyed after a fire ripped through a Solomons Island strip mall Monday night.
Multiple alarms rang out around 10:45 p.m. for fire coming from 13860 HG Trueman Road.
No injuries were reported, however two pets were rescued from Solomons Veterinary Medical Center.
Investigators determined the fire was accidentally caused by a homeless man using a candle inside a camper in the back of the shopping center.
It's believed the candle ignited combustibles causing fire to spread.
The Fire Marshal's Office says the man was able to escape the trailer and temporarily fled the area until he was identified Tuesday morning, after he'd been taken to the hospital for an unrelated medical emergency.
Businesses impacted include Solomons Veterinary Medical Center, Patuxent Adventure Center, Vintage Treasures and Used Furniture, Tiki Tanning and Boutique, and HLW Electric.
In total the fire caused about $3 million in damage.