NewsLocal News

Actions

Deadly Dundalk trailer fire caused by man on oxygen smoking

Posted at 5:37 AM, Feb 04, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-04 16:34:31-05

DUNDALK, Md. — A man is dead following a Thursday morning trailer home fire in Dundalk.

It happened around 4:18 am in the 3800 block of North Point Road.

Although flames were put out within 10 minutes, the fire claimed the life of Herbert William Mullens.

Baltimore County Fire crews found his body in the living room of the smoke filled trailer home.

An investigation revealed Mullens had been smoking while on oxygen.

Officials say medical oxygen is a common factor in serious fire injuries and fatalities because it causes materials to ignite more easily and make fires burn more quickly than normal.