MARYLAND — Hazard Pay for Giant Food employees will end on Sunday.
In a statement, Giant said in part:
"As our communities begin reopening and we all adjust to new ways of living our daily lives – from how we work to how we shop, Giant Food remains focused on supporting both our associates and customers.
In all that we do, we will continue to show we care for associates. At one time, we were one of the only businesses open. As this is changing and we anticipate our shoppers will return to their new normal, we are now transitioning to our new normal."
As previously communicated to their associates, the additional recognition pay that Giant Food has offered since mid-March will end on May 30, 2020.
However, to thank their team for their efforts throughout this crisis, Giant will be providing a one-time appreciation bonus in the amount of $200 for part-time associates and $400 for full-time associates. The bonus will be paid on July 1.
This appreciation bonus compensation is the most recent addition to investments provided by Giant Food to support associates, customers and the communities.
Other investments include:
- Enhanced in store safety measures and social distancing efforts including protective barriers, associate face shields and more.
- Continued investment in associate leave options, sick pay, and other related benefits.
- $500,000 donated to an associate care fund designated for associates and their families in times of need.
- Over $1 million donated to feed and care for local communities.
- $500,000 donated to support medical research in creating a vaccine and a cure for COVID-19.
- 1,000 new employment opportunities created in local communities.