BALTIMORE — A large scene in Downtown Baltimore after a gas leak shutdown several streets and forced people living in a nearby apartment building to evacuate as a precaution.
Rachel Nester was one of many people who had to leave her apartment.
“I came downstairs. Saw all the commotion going on around us. You know, a little worrisome.”
As people started to gather outside, Leigh Frengel says she was stuck in the elevator for at least 20 minutes
“I was actually in the elevator before anything started happening, then all of a sudden the alarm started going off an the elevator just dropped into the basement and I was stuck in there for a little while until they came and got me,” she explained.
Baltimore City Fire says crews were called to the unit block of East Baltimore Street near Charles shortly before 3 p.m.
A spokesperson with the department says the gas leak was caused by a private contractor who struck a gas line at a building under construction.
At least two businesses were told to shelter in place while crews investigated the gas leak.
The fire department says there was no threat to community.