BALTIMORE — The Enoch Pratt Library has found a creative way to offer internet services to underserved communities around Baltimore.
On Monday it launched its Community Wi-Fi service which uses the Pratt Bookmobile as a hotspot.
"We have three mobile units that we will be deploying," said Meghan McCorkell, Director of Marketing & Communications Enoch Pratt Free Library.
The first vehicle rolled out Monday and stopped in the Druid Hill-Upton area.
"They’re deployed to different neighborhoods that we’ve identified where households have low number of Internet service and people will be able to come here, connect to our free Internet as they social distance," said McCorkell.
Since COVID-19 hit, Pratt Library hasn't been able to allow patrons inside buildings. As a result, staff has come up with creative ways to provide services patrons would otherwise find inside.
Community Wi-Fi is just one service being provided.
"We also have eight locations that have Drive-In Wi-Fi," said McCorkell. "You don't need a library card to gain access. We also have printing capabilities by appointment and our books are still available through online reservations."
Wi-Fi is available outside of these branch locations:
· Brooklyn Branch - 300 E. Patapsco Ave, 21225WiFi available on E Patapsco Avenue and on 3rd Street.
· Edmondson Avenue Branch - 4330 Edmondson Ave, 21229WiFi available on Woodridge Ave and Edmondson Ave.
· Forest Park Branch - 3023 Garrison Blvd, 21216Wi-Fi available along Garrison Blvd, Fairview Avenue, and Callaway Avenue.
· Herring Run Branch - 3801 Erdman Ave, 21213Wi-Fi available along Erdman Avenue and the shopping center parking lot.
· Northwood Branch - 4420 Loch Raven Blvd, 21218Wi-Fi available on all four sides.
· Orleans St. Branch - 1303 Orleans St, 21231Wi-Fi available along Orleans Street, the parking lot, Central Avenue, and N. Eden Street.
· Patterson Park Branch - 158 N. Linwood Ave, 21224Wi-Fi available along Pulaski Hwy.
· Waverly Branch - 400 E. 33rd St, 21218Wi-Fi available along E. 33rd Street and Barclay Street.
For more information on the Bookmobile's Community Wi-Fi schedule neighborhood stops click here.