NewsLocal News


Drunk driver sentenced to 20 years in prison for two counts of negligent manslaughter

Posted at 6:34 PM, Sep 15, 2020
and last updated 2020-09-15 18:34:33-04

ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY, Md. — A man has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for two counts of negligent manslaughter in the killing of 73-year-old Frances Manis and her husband Richard Manis, age 80.

The couple was on their way to an engagement party when Brandon Wyrobek struck the vehicle from behind.

Wyrobek entered a guilty plea on September 14 and faced a maximum sentence of 10 years for each of these charges. Judge Mulford imposed the maximum sentence for each count, consecutive to each other, noting that Wyrobek was a menace to society and showed no remorse.

"Wyrobek destroyed the lives of the Manis' family when he decided to get behind the wheel of a vehicle while high on illegal drugs," said Anne Arundel County State's Attorney Anne Colt Leitess. "The victims' three daughters and grandchildren were robbed of a future because of Wyrobeck's criminal actions. I hope the family continues to receive the necessary support and resources they need to heal from this unbearable tragedy."

According to police, the collision occurred in September 2019, where troopers located a Chevrolet Silverado operated by Wyrobek, and a 2018 Mazda 3 with two occupants, Richard Manis and Frances Manis.

Frances Manis was declared dead at the scene and Richard Manis was transported to the Shock Trauma Center with critical injuries and succumbed to his injuries five weeks later.

Multiple 911 calls were received about a blue truck driving erratically on I-295. Callers indicated that the driver had his eyes closed and appeared to be asleep. While on the phone with 911, one caller observed the blue truck strike the rear of the victims' vehicle that was stopped on the shoulder of the road with the vehicle's hazard lights on.

When the medics arrived, Wyrobek was lethargic and disoriented and stated that he saw "oompa-loompa's."

Wyrobek denied ingesting any illicit drugs but stated that he had one beer. He was transported to shock trauma and after a blood tests was positive for fentanyl, benzodiazepine and opiates.

Wyrobek was eventually released from the University of Maryland R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center and was placed under arrest.