NewsLocal News

Actions

Anne Arundel FD: Family loses home, sent to hospital after dog causes kitchen fire

Fire crews also rescued 10 dogs
420 Oak Grove Road, Linthicum Heights fire
Posted at 11:42 AM, Nov 16, 2020
and last updated 2020-11-16 11:42:32-05

LINTHICUM HEIGHTS, Md. — Anne Arundel County Fire officials believe a dog hit a stove knob, causing a kitchen fire that sent five people to the hospital and left them without a home.

It all began Saturday, around 2:30 in the morning in the 400 block of Oak Grove Road in Linthicum Heights.

The homeowner told authorities he woke up to the sound of smoke alarms, and noticed his kitchen on fire.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames within 10 minutes of their arrival, while at the same time rescuing eight puppies from the home.

Two adults and three children also made it out, but were taken to the hospital for potential smoke inhalation.

A police officer who helped with the evacuation suffered a cut to the hand and had to be taken to a hospital as well.

It's estimated the fire caused $20,000 in damage. The family of five and their 10 dogs are now displaced.

They're currently being assisted by the Red Cross.