ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY, Md. — The Anne Arundel County School Board has passed a high school sports plan that will call for a change in both games and practices.
This new plan is called the two-semester plan and it was put forth by the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association. Students will still have fall, winter and spring sporting seasons, they’re just going to be heavily condensed.
Here’s a breakdown of the practice schedule:
- Fall sports will practice from October 19 to November 14
- Spring sports will practice from November 18th to December 19
- Winter sports will practice from January 4 to January 30
Now, here's a look at when the competitive games will happen:
- Winter sports will compete from February 1 to March 27
- Fall sports will compete from March 15 to May 8
- Spring sports will compete from April 26 to June 19
There would be no tryouts or cuts under this new two-semester plan, which would allow more students to participate. This is something that the school superintendent believes creates a more inclusive environment at a time when students are feeling very disconnected from one another.