BALTIMORE — Temperatures are heating up across the state, prompting the activation of cooling centers in Anne Arundel County.
On Friday, June 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., the following Anne Arundel County Department of Aging and Disabilities Senior Centers will be open as designated cooling centers.
- Annapolis Senior Center, 119 South Villa Avenue, Annapolis
- Arnold Senior Center, 44 Church Road, Arnold
- Brooklyn Park Senior Cneter, 202 Hammonds Lane, Brooklyn Park
- O'Malley Senior Center, 1275 Odenton Road, Odenton
- Pasadena Senior Center, 4103 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Pascal Senior Center, 125 Dorsey Road, Glen Burnie
- South County Senior Center, 27 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
The following Anne Arundel Public Libraries will be open as designated cooling centers on Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Annapolis Library (at Monarch Academy), 2000 Capital Drive, Annapolis
- Broadneck Community Library, 1275 Green Holly Drive, Annapolis
- Brooklyn Park Community Library, 1 East 11th Avenue, Baltimore
- Crofton Community Library, 1681 Riedel Road, Crofton
- Deale Community Library, 5940 Deale-Churchton Road, Deale
- Eastport-Annapolis Neck Community Library, 269 Hillsmere Drive, Annapolis
- Edgewater Community Library, 25 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- Glen Burnie Regional Library, 1010 Eastway, Glen Burnie
- Linthicum Community Library, 400 Shipley Road, Linthicum
- Maryland City at Russett Community Library, 3501 Russett Common, Laurel
- Mountain Road Community Library, 4730 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- Odenton Regional Library, 1325 Annapolis Road, Odenton
- Riviera Beach Community Library, 1130 Duvall Highway, Pasadena
- Severn Community Library, 2624 Annapolis Road, Severn
- Severna Park Community Library, 45 West McKinsey Road, Severna Park
The following Anne Arundel County Police District Station Community Rooms will be available as cooling centers on Friday, June 28 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Northern District, 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- Eastern District, 204 Pasadena Rd, Pasadena
- Western District, 8273 Telegraph Road, Odenton
- Southern District, 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
Pets are not allowed in any cooling centers. Accommodations will be made for service animals. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Residents are advised to take steps to protect their health in the heat. Drink plenty of fluids regardless of activity level, but particularly if you are outside. Avoid alcohol or large amounts of sugar. Stay indoors, in the presence of air conditioning if possible. Try to keep outdoor activity to early morning or evening hours. Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. Don't leave pets outside. Never leave a person or pet in a closed, parked car. Pay particular attention to children, infants, pets, and the elderly in such staggering heat.