An exposure to mold in a child’s early years could lead to the development of asthma and other health problems, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Institute of Medicine has also found evidence linking indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract systems, coughing and wheezy in otherwise healthy people. It could also trigger hypersensitivity pneumonitis, an immune-related condition, in patients who are susceptible to it.
Mold has emerged as a major concern in Howard County Public Schools, where parents of students in several schools have complained of mold exposure.
The CDC says severe reactions may occur among workers exposed to large amounts of mold, such as farmers working around moldy hay.
These reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. People with chronic lung illnesses could develop infections in their lungs.