The recipes below were provided by the Geckle Diabetes and Nutrition Center at GBMC.
Low-Fat Graham Cracker Crust
- 10 Graham crackers
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. Low calorie margarine, melted
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Preheat oven to 3500 F
- To make crust, place graham crackers in blender or food processor and crumb.
- Pour crumbs into a bowl and add egg whites, margarine and sugar. Mix well
- Press crumbs evenly into bottom and sides of 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake for 10 minutes until crust is firm and dry.
- Remove from oven, cool and set aside.
- Fill as desired
Serving size: 1/8 slice
Fat: 3.25 g
Carbs: 15 g
Protein: 2 g
Brussel Sprouts with Oranges
- 1 medium orange
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 lb. Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ black pepper
- Zest the orange and add the zest to a small cup. Peel and section the orange, then cut the orange into half. Add the walnuts to a small skillet over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- In a large skillet add 1 tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat and add shallots and cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove the shallots until later. Add one Tbsp. of olive oil and Brussel sprouts for 10-15 minutes. Add orange sections and orange zest, shallots and cook for 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Fat: 4 g
Carbs: 8 g
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- 1 Medium head of cauliflower, stalk removed
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 4000 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Break the cauliflower into florets and pulse in a food processor until fine. Then steam cauliflower in a steamer basket and drain well. (may put it on a towel to get all the moisture out.) Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the cauliflower with the mozzarella, Parmesan, oregano, salt, garlic powder and eggs. Transfer to the center of the baking sheet and spread into a circle, resembling a pizza crust. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Add desired toppings and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Recipe submitted by Shiffon Gray who obtained it courtesy of Katie Lee
Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb. peeled shrimp
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add shrimp for 3 minutes on side.
- Transfer the shrimp to a bowl and combine with the lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper.
Total fat: 3.5 g
Total carbohydrates: 1 g
Protein: 24 gram