The National Drug Take-Back Initiative encourages individuals to dispose of unused medication to help combat prescription drug addiction and accidental overdoses.
More than 70 percent of prescription drug abusers state they got the medication from friends or relatives.
Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Anne Arundel County will hold drug take-back events this weekend.
Residents in Baltimore City can take their unused, unwanted or expired prescription drugs to the Baltimore Police Department on 2201 W. Cold Spring Lane starting at 11:15 a.m. Friday.
On Saturday, Baltimore County will accept unused prescription medications at 10 locations:
- Wilkens - 901 Walker Avenue
- Woodlawn - 6424 Windsor Mill Road
- Franklin - 606 Nicodemus Road
- Pikesville - 215 Milford Mill Road
- Towson - 115 W. Susquehanna Avenue
- Cockeysville - 111 Wight Avenue
- Parkville - 8532 Old Harford Road
- White Marsh - 8220 Perry Hall Boulevard
- Essex - 216 North Marlyn Avenue
- Dundalk - 428 Westham Way
Also on Saturday, Anne Arundel County will hold its own event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at five different locations:
- Millersville - 8495 Veterans Highway
- Baltimore - 939 Hammonds Lane
- Odenton - 8273 Telegraph Road
- Pasadena - 204 Pasadena Road
Edgewater - 35 Stepneys Lane