NewsCrime CheckerHarford County Crime


18 year old charged in shooting death of 15 year old in Edgewood

Both teens members of opposing gangs
Meyers%2c Rahzir (2) copy.jpg
Posted at 3:49 PM, Jul 08, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-09 09:32:12-04

Harford County Sheriffs have arrested an 18-year-old rival gang member in the July 4 shooting death of a 15 year old in Edgewood.

Rahzir Meyers, of Abingdon, has been charged with first-degree murder, first-degree assault, second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, and additional charges, Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler said during a press conference. Meyers was denied bond at his bail review hearing on Monday. He turned himself in to the sheriff's office on July 7. He had previously been incarcerated on July 5 for possession with intent to distribute marijuana charges but was released on bond. Between arrests law enforcement established enough corroborating evidence to get a warrant for his arrest on murder charges.

The Sheriff’s Office said Meyers shot 15-year-old Khalil Johnson while they were near Eloise Lane and Brookside Drive. Johnson then fled to his home in the 1900 block of Eloise Drive.

Police responded to the home shortly after midnight on July 4, where they encountered a group of about 50 people outside, Gahler said. The crowd was uncooperative with Sheriff’s Office personnel, and when deputies tried to enter the house, the residents did not want to let them enter originally. When deputies finally did get inside, they immediately began applying life-saving measures, eventually transporting Johnson to Maryland Shock Trauma, in Baltimore, where he died.

Gahler said there was a gathering or party going on outside of Johnson’s residence the night of the shooting, and that both he and Meyers were known gang members, but from different gangs. It was reported that Meyers sustained a gunshot wound as well in the incident, but Gahler did not confirm or deny that, though he did confirm that Meyers had sustained an injury to his leg prior to his arrest.

Gahler said the investigation is on going, and he was supportive of the community’s involvement in sharing information with investigators that helped led to Meyers' arrest.